Introduction to Quantum Computing
Course Number: COMS 4281
Date/Time: MW 10:10-11:25am
First meeting: September 7
This Week’s Office Hours (updated every Sunday)
This class is an introduction to the theory of quantum computing and quantum information. Topics covered include:
- The fundamental postulates of quantum information theory
- Entanglement and nonlocality
- The quantum circuit model
- Basic quantum protocols, such as quantum teleportation and superdense coding
- Basic quantum algorithms, such as Simons’ algorithm, the Quantum Fourier Transform, Phase Estimation, Shor’s Factoring algorithm, Grover search, amplitude amplification
- Quantum error correction and fault-tolerance
- (Time permitting) Quantum cryptography, quantum advantage/quantum supremacy, quantum complexity theory
The goal of the course is to provide a rigorous foundation for future research/studies in quantum computing and quantum information, and along the way provide students with an understanding of the state of the field, and where it’s headed.
No background in quantum physics is required. However, having familiarity and comfort with abstract linear algebra is a must.
We will be using Jupyter for lectures and assignments. Here are some resources to help you get up to speed on writing Markdown, LaTeX, and code in a Jupyter Notebook.
Please read this post for detailed instructions on running and submitting your Problem Set notebooks.
- Problem Set 1 - last updated September 12. Due date: September 23, 11:59pm. PDF Preview.
- Problem Set 2 - last updated September 27. Due date: October 9, 11:59pm. PDF Preview.
- Problem Set 3 - last updated October 20. Due date: November 2 11:59pm. PDF Preview.
- Problem Set 4 - last updated November 7. Due date: November 22 11:59pm. PDF Preview.
- Problem Set 5, Part 1 - last updated November 29. Part 1 Due date: December 11 11:59pm. PDF Preview.
- Qubit Tug-of-War - last updated December 5. Part 2 Due date: December 18, 11:59pm. PDF Preview
- Week 1
- Week 2
- Week 3
- Week 4
- Week 5
- Week 6
- Week 7
- Week 8
- Week 9
- Week 10
- Week 11
- Week 12
- Week 13
- Week 14